Today there are so many apps for smartphone users it can be difficult to find one that does what you want, when you want it to, that is reliable and easy to use. Well, you’re in luck. There are thousands of apps to help with everything from finding you a great hotel to cheap car hire to flight trackingóusually quicker than the airline!
Here, I have pulled together a list of my favourite travel apps to ease your mind and save you money along the way.
1) FlightAware This completely free app lets you track your flights to let you know if your flight is on time or running late, before leaving the house. It will send you delay notifications and any data on your flight, all in real time.
2) Babelingo ñ There are many wonderful translation apps on the market, and many of them are free, but for $1.99 USD, this app gives you basic and heavily used phrases in hundreds of languagesóall without requiring a Wi-Fi connection. This way, you can easily communicate with hotel staff, vendors, or cab drivers, without trying to find a signal or paying for wireless service. 3) GasBuddy ñ If youíll be driving a rental car on your next holiday, take a moment to download the GasBuddy app. It allows you to search by city or zip code to find continuously updated information on the cheapest gas prices in the area.
4) Tips ó This little app is invaluable for helping you figure out how much to tip, which is something we all sometimes struggle withóit even takes into account how much you liked the service. In addition, it allows you to figure out how to split the bill if youíre dining with friends!
5) Trapster ñ Of course you would never speed or knowingly violate the traffic laws in any country, including your own. However, this free app does let you know what roads the police in the area are monitoring, thus saving you much time, money, and the aggravation of a traffic violation in a foreign country.
6) TripIt ó This helpful little app organizes all your reservation information, for car rentals, hotel rooms, even restaurant reservations. It pulls information from your email and gathers together your confirmation numbers, contact information, check-in times, and other crucial information so youíll never again be scrabbling through your bag looking for your confirmation number at the airline ticket window. It also updates your information with any changes, even at the last minute. And it saves your maps so you always know where you are!
7) UrbanSpoon ó This totally free app lets you search for restaurants by location and type of food. It also gives you maps, menus, and reviews of the restaurants. Great for travelling or even at home!
8) Skype ñ The Skype app allows you to talk to anyone from anywhereóyou purchase an inexpensive subscription for your city and chat to anyone, wherever they might be.
9) XECurrency ó The gold standard for online currency information, they now offer a free app! Crucial for overseas travel, this app allows you to check current exchange rates for every currency on the planet.
10) Expensify ñ This app helps organize all your receipts and invoices when youíre travelling for business. You can photograph receipts, track your mileage, and more. When your trip is over, Expensify will generate an expense report for you and send it to your accounting department for reimbursement. It even allows your employer to send your reimbursement directly to your bank account!
On your next business trip, try using these apps to save you money on dining out, petrol, and currency exchange fees. You might be surprised at the amount of money you can save!
About the Author: Laura Murphy has lead the eclectic vagabond life, traveling here and there and now has settled into the perfect gig for the perpetual itinerant: writing for the cheap car hire site NovaCarHire.com! She’s learned a thing or two about saving money on travel and hopes you follow her on her quest to share her lessons with folks who have a traveler’s heart, if not the budget.